A New Competition Center
Building the next generation of champions.
Since the beginning, Sugarloaf's competition program has provided thousands of Maine students with much more than racing and medals. It has served as a launchpad for their dreams, connecting them with a supportive community and providing them with opportunities to rub elbows with their heroes.
Now, Carrabassett Valley Academy, Sugarloaf, and the Sugarloaf Ski Club are working together to continue this tradition and bring our competition programs to new heights with a new, state-of-the-art Competition Center.
The new Bill & Joan Alfond Competition Center represents much more than competition. Following it's opening, it will become a hub for social activity and networking, providing a warm and welcoming venue for athletes of all ages.The building honors and draws upon Sugarloaf's rich heritage, highlighting many of the strong structural elements of the original gondola station. This design allows for a celebration of Sugarloaf's history with a look to its bright future.
The total cost of this ambitious project is $2.1 million dollars. Thanks to a $1 million grant from the Bill and Joan Alfond Foundation we are poised to make this dream into a reality, but we still need your help.
A wide array of compelling and unique naming opportunities is available within the facility, ranging from $1,000 - $100,000.
Construction on the new facility began on May 1, 2016 and was completed on November 15, 2016. A grand opening celebration is planned for December 10, 2016 at 2:30 pm and we look forward to having this incredible new facility ready to welcome the nation for the U.S. Alpine Championships March 24-28, 2017.
In The News
- Press Release: Carrabassett Valley Academy announces $1 million Alfond Grant for new Competition Center
- Daily Bulldog: Carrabassett Valley Academy to build new $2 million center at Sugarloaf
- Sun Journal: Carrabassett Valley Academy to build new competition center at Sugarloaf
- Mainebiz: New ski training center planned for Sugarloaf with help of Alfond grant
- Portland Press Herald: Alfond Grant to fund new ski training center at Sugarloaf
- The Original Irregular: CVA to build new competition center at Sugarloaf
- WCSH 6: CVA will begin construction of competition center